Thursday, August 13, 2009

Final Touches

At 8.30am my doorbell rang. It was the painter yesterday coming to do some final touches on my kitchen and toilet ceilings and my door. The first thing he did after entering the house was to barge into my room to have a look at the paint and I was only half awake at that time. That startled me for a bit.

Went out of the house to go to school for our SMKT presentation. On the way, I stumbled upon 2 incidents which made me think twice about us Singaporeans. The first case was an Indian lady sitting beside me with her baby. The baby was constantly kicking me with his shoes as his mother was playing with him. Despite showing some expressions of unhappiness, nothing was done so I kept quiet about it for the whole of the trip.

The second matter was this Malay sibling (elder sister and younger brother) who were on the escalator. I was in a rush to go to school at that time so therefore I was hoping to take the express lane which was the right lane. The whole escalator was empty except for the 2 of them several steps in front of me so therefore I predicted the journey down to the second floor would be smooth. However, the boy stood at the right of the escalator while his sister stood right beside him, blocking the way of all the commuters which might be in a rush. I politely said "Excuse me" but I noticed that the sister was wearing earpiece so therefore I stood RIGHT behind them and I finally got pass.

We Singaporeans should reflect on how we act sometimes. Just mentioning about the public transport, I can pin point out how "kiasu" we are by crowding in front of the door during peak hours and therefore blocking the way of the alighting passengers. In this way, time is wasted as the 2 "armies" are squeezing their way in and out of the train. Sometimes I'd use my might and dash through the crowd. If you get knocked down, sorry, not my fault. You are the one who is crowding at the door when you are NOT supposed to.

What is happening to our courtesy campaign? Did everybody forget Singa, our courtesy ambassador? Courtesy is for free, courtesy is for you and me.

No comments: